Kentucky Boyle Post 46
Helping others for a better Life!
Veterans' Educational Assistance Program

VA has informed us that approximately 115,000 Post-Vietnam Era Veterans 
are entitled to a refund of contributions they made to the Veterans' Educational
 Assistance Program (VEAP).  If you don’t know, VEAP was a service member 
education and training savings program for Post-Vietnam Era Veterans.


Why are some service members owed refunds?


In general, Veterans have ten years from their date of discharge to use their 
education benefits.  Some ineligible Veterans still have unused contributions 
and are entitled to a refund.


Who might be missing their refund?


Veterans potentially eligible for a refund would have:

  • Entered Active Duty between 01/01/77 to 06/30/85
  • Contributed to VEAP while on active duty and before 4/01/87
  • Not used all their contributions
  • Not have been dishonorably discharged
  • Completed 24 months of continuous service or have been discharged 
  • early due to:
    • Convenience of the government within three months of the end 
    • of their enlistment (an “early out” under Title 10, Section 1171)
    • Hardship (under Title 10, Section 1173)
    • Service-connected disability (this includes those rated for a 
    • compensable service-connected disability even if they were not
    •  discharged for that disability)


What should an eligible, or potentially eligible, Veteran do?


If you have unused VEAP funds, you should submit VA Form 22-5281 after 
completing sections 1-6, 14, 15, and 18.  It will take 3-4 weeks to receive a 
response and/or refund via U.S Treasury check.
If you are unsure whether you are eligible for a refund or whether you participated
 in VEAP, you can call the Education Call Center at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442 4551) 
domestically or 001-918-781-5678 overseas, Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. CT.


Thank you for your help in this.



Education Service


Bobbie Smith