Kentucky Boyle Post 46
Helping others for a better Life!

POST 46 SERVICE OFFICER:  Gene Klaus,, 989-284-5972

Post Service Officers (PSO) from this area meet with Veterans on scheduled Fridays at the Sousley Campus (Leestown Campus) of the Lexington VAMC.  Time: 0700-1130; Place: Building 28, Room 15.  Enter at the south end of building next to loading dock.  Room 15 is the last door on right.  Other times and places are available as needed.  The most common Veteran needs addressed are Disability Benefits (new and appeals), Pension Benefits, and Surviving Spouse and Dependent Benefits (DIC).

Meeting schedule for March and April 2019:  3/1, 3/8, 3/15, 3/29; 4/5, 4/26, 5/3
Please email or call Mr. Klaus if you have any questions.


How does a Veteran become a VA Patient?

1)  The first step is to visit and select VA Benefits and Health Care from the drop down menu.  You may also meet with a Service Officer or call 877-222-8387 to talk with a VA representative.  The Service Office will assist with your application and also assist you with applying for disability benefits if that is indicated.  There are several categories of patients.  For example, those who have just finished a 12-month combat tour, Vietnam Veterans (served "in country"), Purple Heart recipient, or those who receive Medicaid.

2)  Once the required application is completed, the Veteran can either mail the document or take it to a VA medical center.  VA medical centers can be found at  You will need to provide the following:  (a) a copy of both sides of your current insurance card (including Medicare and Medicaid); (b) a copy of your DD214 "Armed Forces Report of Transfer or Discharge;" and (c) Purple Heart recipients only: a copy of your award letter if "Purple Heart" is not noted on the DD214.

3)  The telephone number of the Health Benefits Center (eligibility office) of the Lexington VAMC is 859-233-4511, ext. 4948 or 859-281-4948.  The eligibility office is located in Bldg. 1, Leestown Campus, 2550 Leestown Rd, Lexington KY 40511.

How does a Veteran submit a claim?

1)  A claim may be submitted by the Veteran on, select "VA Benefits and Health Care" from the drop down menu, and then select "Disability."  Complete the application and mail it and all supporting documents to the indicated application location. 

2)  The Veteran can also meet with a Service Officer who will complete the application with the Veteran and submit it on his/her behalf.  The Service Officer will assist with the initial application and any subsequent appeals should the claim be denied.

3)  Documentation needed is any claim application:
     a)  All medical records from non-government providers
     b)  DD214
     c)  Banking information to include account number, bank name, and routing number.

Claim progress can be monitored by completing an account on

NOTE:  Any qualified Veteran can apply for benefits.  The VA evaluates each application on an individual basis.